Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Lost Resume

I was looking at my resume recently. I began to think about all the jobs I've had that weren't listed on my resume. You know... the part-time ones from high school, or whatever "pay-the-bills" job you had in college for a few months.

Here are the jobs that don't appear on my resume:

  • newspaper delivery (elementary school for like 5 months)
  • insurance company filing (6 months)
  • babysitting (ad hoc)
  • cashier at large craft store (1 year)
  • infant daycare center (1 year)
  • elderly care mgmt (office work off and on for 4 years)
  • babysitter for a family with 3 boys a few days a week (2 years)
  • cleaned facilities for tennis club (9 months)
  • office work for nonprofit (Young Life office for 6 months)
  • cleaned houses (6 months)
  • front-desk at dorm (2 years)

Combine that with the 6 jobs I've had outside of college in the last (YIKES) 11 years, and the grand total is 17 jobs.

Of these jobs...

  • Job I Hated the Most: cleaning houses in college - I can still hear the woman yelling my name from other rooms in the house... ugh...
  • Job I Liked the Most: I liked the dorm because I was able to meet lots of people.
  • Job Most Valuable to Career: The elderly care mgmt office job gave me confidence.
  • Job I Grew The Most In: Babysitting for the family of 3 boys - I realized how much fun boys are and learned a lot from the family (helped for life now).
  • Job Most Humbling: Cleaning at the Tennis Club - nothing is more humbling than scrubbing group showers.
  • Job I'd Recommend to Students: Depends on what you want to do with your life, but I thought the cashier one gave me insight/empathy into the long hours and sore feet of retail, the office ones gave me lots of insight into business, the children-centered ones gave me lots of insight into family, and the cleaning ones gave me insight into how much I appreciate house-cleaners.

That's all. :)

0 comments: