When I was in the 3rd grade, we had a Christmas performance for our family and friends in which we had to sing the song "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. It was the first time I'd heard it. I'd never seen the movie, and still to this day I've never seen it, but I remember I loved singing this song. My mind would wander as we were rehearsing and I would picture the kettles steaming, the warm mittens on my fingers, the geese flying with their wings spread out wide, or the ringing of the bells. I don't think I even knew what schnitzel was, but I loved the sound of it. I was reminded of it recently by a commercial on TV. In 1982, this song made Christmas a little sweeter. Today, every Christmas is special not just because of the songs, the lights, the traditions or the gifts. It's the meaning behind the story. But, gosh, I still love this song...
My Favorite Things
By Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rodgers
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;
Brown paper packages tied up with strings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels;
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles;
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes;
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;
Silver-white winters that melt into springs;
These are a few of my favorite things.
When the dog bites,When the bee stings,When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.
10 years ago

3 comments:
I thought Dan was the only one who has never seen the movie! I always loved the 'whiskers on kittens'... Merry Christmas!
I think it's time that you watch the movie! It's a winner. And so is your husband with the tulips "just 'cause". Way to go Rob!
This is cool and I can even access it as I am so computer smart!! Loved the Christmas photo. Melissa is mad as she got nothing! Her and Will's address is 1441 Ventura, Kingsburg. 93631 Her last name is now Pilegard. We would love to see you guys... life is way too busy that is for sure. Next time we go to your folks maybe it will be at a time when you are there too!! Love, k
Post a Comment