I don’t really understand the fascination with celebrity weight. Jennifer Love-Hewitt looked amazing over this last summer and Jessica Simpson looks fantastic now. Can’t a softer woman still be as hot as a skinny-mini?
I am a recovering skinny-mini. I should elaborate a bit, here: I have never had an unhealthy view of my own weight and never acted against my own health. I was just naturally skinny (yet curvy). My wedding day, I weighed 98 pounds. I gained 40 pounds in my pregnancy with Toby and most of that came off after his birth. A few stubborn pounds stuck like pudding.
I would have to say for the most part it’s much nicer being softer. I can’t tell you how uncomfortable it was being skinny. Your butt hurts sitting in a seat for any length of time, my knees hitting against each other practically made a knocking sound, and every other sharpness of elbow, shoulder and hip. It was a surprise to me that I could appreciate my softness around the edges.
Once you turn 30, and for some having a baby, I think most people find that your metabolism changes. I can’t eat just “anything I want” anymore. I can’t drink 4 leaded sodas a day (yes, I did and that equals around 600 calories). I never used to look at the sides of boxes or curb the quantities. Since turning 30, things have changed. I drink diet (and just 1 soda a day, if at all). I don’t enjoy as much sugary foods. I care about how many calories most things contain. I probably eat a bit healthier than I used to, but eating better doesn’t solve all things “soft”.
Recently I’ve desired to be stronger. It’s not about the pounds because I don't even know how much I weigh. I'm not interested in sifting through GoodWill for all my old pants, either. It’s really about feeling healthy. I almost don’t want to give up all of the “softness” (I can do without the hip bones that killed a 1000 Philistines), but I do want to feel like I could hike that mountain or bike that valley if I wanted to.
If I look closely at my schedule, I can see little to NO time for fitness (I’ll spare you the line-by-line example of my daily schedule). I’m a working mom trying hard to take care of my family and be the best in all the hats I wear. I don’t know where it will fit into my week, but I’m praying it does. I want the energy, the stamina, and the adventure that comes with a few muscles and a healthy attitude. Can I hear an AMEN!?!
10 years ago

1 comments:
Amen sister!
Post a Comment