I could use your help. I really cannot decide on how to vote on Prop 2. Everything else I seem to sway one way or the other, but this one... I'm in the middle.
If you remember, this is the initative that allows for confinement restrictions of farm animals. Notably, the measure allows more room for egg laying hens and pregnant pigs. I understand why we'd want these animals to be treated well - I love animals. I don't like the idea of anything, including my precious bacon, being mistreated. I understand why many farmers may be against this - it puts them out of business, and California law already protects these animals and their safety. If passed, there may be an increase of eggs from outside the US increasing the risk of Salmonella and food-borne illness.
What do I do? Yes, or No on Prop 2? Please post comments and help me decide.
10 years ago

1 comments:
I can't vote because I'm not a citizen, but I'd definitely vote 'No' on 2 (i.e. supposedly 'for' the confinement of animals.) There was an episode on this that Oprah did. Basically, there is only a chicken industry in CA and not pork or beef (nominal at best). The confinement of animals allows 80x more eggs to be produced over free range, etc. Farmers would have to close up shop and eggs would have to be imported from MX to off-set the high cost of farming free-range eggs. Just my opinion;-)
Post a Comment