Tuesday, July 3, 2007

He Didn't Recognize His Own Parents

On an end table in our living room is an 8.5X11 photo of Rob and I one our wedding day. It's a very romantic picture in front of the SF church doors we got married in. Toby crawled up on the couch yesterday and was staring at the picture. It's the first time he realized it was there. I said, "Toby, who's in the picture?" He replied reluctantly, "people". "But who, Toby?" A blank stare. I explained to him that it was MaMa and DaDa. Still puzzled. I went to the backroom and brought out our wedding album. "See, here we are. You know everyone in these pictures." He hardly recognized many of them. It's been 5.5 years since we were married and some have more gray hair, some have gained or lost a few pounds, some grew up (as is the case with the younger cousins), and some were all fancied-up. He began to catch on. I started to understand that he doesn't really know that people change. It never occurred to him that someone looks different at 13 yrs than they do at 17 yrs. There's so much to learn. Two discoveries checked off the list: freckles aren't dirt, and people look different as the years go on. Wonder what he'll discover next...

0 comments: