Friday, February 29, 2008

I'm Hiding...

Toby loves to hide. He hides constantly. He enjoys being discovered and gets such a thrill out of whatever expression we have when we stumble upon him. Today he was hiding under the dining room table and it wasn't hard to find him. When I pretend to go looking for him, he yells out "I'm hiding!". And then I pretend some more to have no idea where he could be. It reminded me...

When I was little, I used to love to hide under my Grandparents dining room table. It was in the middle of the house between the living room and the kitchen and everyone had to walk around it to get between the two rooms. I would sit under the table and watch the feet of everyone pass by me and listen in on their conversations. I remember putting my hands over my mouth to supress the giggles. I studied all the black felt tip warehouse writing on the under side of the table. Lots of numbers and letters that I couldn't read yet. The white lace tablecloth provided additional coverage as it draped over the sides of the table. I would sit there so still, enjoying every second of the seclusion.

Hiding was a way for me to exit being under the watchful eye of parents and grandparents and just be alone, even if it was still in the security of our home, and just for a few minutes. I could stay very still and quiet, at least until I became hungry or was missing out on something fun - then it was time to come out of hiding. My Grandma had a wonderful way of coaxing me out with snacks, and sometimes just the sound of her singing in the kitchen would make me come out to join her.

Today my hiding places are not as obviously identified. It's the shower, a ride in the car, a quick trip to the store, and especially praying. I hope that as a parent I can help foster in Toby healthy hiding - or as the Peanut's gang would say "being alone every now and then...".

From the musical "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown", just a few words from "Happiness Is":

Happiness is finding a pencil...
Pizza with sausage...
Telling the time.

Happiness is learning to whistle...
Tying your shoe...
For the very first time.

Happiness is playing the drum...
In your own school band.
And happiness is walking hand in hand.

Happiness is two kinds of ice cream...
Knowing a secret...
Climbing a tree.

Happiness is five dif'rent crayons...
Catching a firefly...
Setting him free.

Happiness is being alone ev'ry now and then.
And happiness is coming home again.

0 comments: