Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Reason to Floss...

If you hate to floss your teeth, you're in good company. I hate flossing. I do it once a week or less - which I hate to admit openly. I brush very consistently, I just can't stand floss. It probably has something to do with the fact that the nerves in my gums are a little off. Pressing on some places on my gums actually triggers a feeling at a different place. Many years back I had a surgery that left my jaw in about 6 different pieces. Because of that, the nerves crossed a bit and the sheath around the nerves was damaged. I have the pins-and-needles feeling permanently in my lower lip and the tip of my nose. I digress... Teeth flossing... So, I ended up with a cavity between my two back molars for lack of flosssing. Also, my two front teeth needed the white-filling replaced (someone related to me - who shall go un-named, pushed me playing monkey in the middle when I was 7 years old and I broke my two front teeth). Why not do everything at once? Sounded like a good plan.

First step... novacaine. [Here is the part where anyone sensitive to needles should stop reading.] Something like this would probably take about 4-5 shots of novacaine in certain areas to numb it. Good idea, concerning your teeth have many many nerves running through them. I'm not your average Jane with my nerves playing Marco Polo. "Marco!" here and then over there... "Polo!" It took at the very least 12 shots of novacaine for at least 25 minutes straight. 25% of the appointment was just shots. The dentist was a little confused.

Ok, not soliciting a pity party here... I was just amazed by how long it took. Eventually, we practically just numbed everything and I was good to go. And, good results.

On the bright-side, thank God for novacaine and epidurals; my two favorite methods of dulling pain.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Forget the shot go for the gas!!!

I only had the pins and needles feeling in my nose for about five years when I had my... nose Job LOL (I think it is really called reconstructive surgery)... had a nasty break thanks to the back of someones head. How long has it been since your surgery?

Nico

P.S.
I miss the Maverick stories!!!