Sunday, May 25, 2008

Jeep Jeers...and so on, so on, so forth...

I love my Jeep, but he's sick.

Last Thursday my car began to stall while driving. Just pooped out at 40 miles an hour, or into a parking lot, or 25 miles an hour through an intersection. You start to realize that you are hitting the gas and not moving any faster. Then you realize the power steering is out. A few mili-seconds later - it dawns on you that the car stalled while driving and you need to get over to the side of road quickly. I had it towed to the mechanic, even though it had no problem restarting, with fear it would stall again in an unfortunate place and time.

The mechanic could not duplicate the problem. They drove it all over the Peninsula with no results, even to Half Moon Bay (on my $4/gallon gas). They didn't want to fix things unless they could determine the exact problem. While doing an oil change, they discovered another issue with the rear differential. Needs to be rebuilt. Ugh... NOT cheap. And, we still hadn't determined the first issue.

We decided to take it home for the weekend and bring it back next week for the rear differential rebuild. We drove 5 minutes away and it stalled again, this time right across the street from the tow truck company that towed it the first time. Coincidence?? I told them I needed it towed again. They said where are you now? I said, look out your window. This time it wouldn't restart. Rob, and the tow truck driver both had to try to start it, just in case it was a user issue (me). No luck. When they got it back to the shop, it started up and they drove it right into the garage. UGH!!!

Here is the real interesting piece about this story. WE JUST PAID IT OFF A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO! Literally, our last payment was in May. We received the pink slip in the mail yesterday.

Additionally, we're sharing a car and Rob took me to work. On our way, Friday, we got pulled over by a Police Officer. We were stumped. Had no idea what we did. She said Rob was wearing his seat belt improperly, under his arm, and we can now expect a fine in the mail. Honestly???!!

Then Rob got the flu.

We had a crappy 48 hours. I guess you just have to laugh, right? Ha ha ha... (sarcasm) I'm really hoping that the 48 hours is over and we can now expect good news of some kind. Got any? ;)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

No news is good news! I hope your last 48 were great! :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, so sorry for all these car problems! Have you thought about calling in to Car Talk on NPR to brainstorm the issue? Those guys are so good at solving mysterious car issues!! Check them out! Jenn Wong