Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Transformed

I seriously almost cried today. I could feel the tears welling up. When you see your child struggling with something and trying their hardest to overcome over a period of months, it's difficult to stand back and not fly in to rescue them. But, he had to struggle. It's through that perseverance that we learn so much, even at the age of 3. Today was different.

Toby has had some difficulty with large motor skills. Mostly, it's the fear that paralyzes his progress. He's scared of many things. We knew that swimming would be a big challenge for him though it had the benefits of giving him confidence and an opportunity to succeed. Also, we wanted him to be pool safe. We enrolled him last April in swim classes. Friends of ours recently bought a swim school. Jeff, over the last several years, has been the Children's Pastor at our church - a big undertaking given the sheer volume of children at our church in recent years. He and his wife had the opportunity to invest in something they love and feel called to do - teach swimming. Toby adored him as Pastor, and now looks forward to seeing him at the pool.

Though Toby has had great teachers at his swim school, he just hadn't progressed. Seven months and he was still screaming in the pool and protesting, refusing to put his head under water. After speaking with Jeff, he decided perhaps he could help by spending with some one-on-one time with our petrified pre-schooler. His first day with Toby, he was swimming under water by himself, just a few feet to the bench. I was in AWE. He was still protesting and yelling, but somehow Jeff was able to push past it and require Toby to participate - in the most loving assertive way possible. The second meeting was even better - but we still had some protest.

Today was remarkable. It was his 3rd session with Jeff and 7 months of swim lessons. Almost immediately, it was like a switch was flipped in Toby's mind. He had fully submitted to enjoying it. Half way through the half-hour session he had swam under water several times, and jumped in and swam all by himself - not into someone's arms, not holding anyone's hands... ALL BY HIMSELF. And that's not all. By the end of the session, he had (a few times) jumped in and swam to the wall and pulled himself out of the pool. I'm AMAZED! Is this really my child? The one who screamed in a crowded pool, "I don't want to drown!"? The one who experienced educators had been telling me was struggling with large muscle coordination? It was as if I was witnessing a transformation. I believe this is going to be a long process, but I like the direction we're taking.

When he was done with the session today, I found myself fighting back the happy-tears as I hugged him. I told him I was proud of him. Toby looked up at me and said, "God makes me brave." He does indeed.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

2 comments:

THE GTEAM said...

Wow, just teared up reading this. What truth Toby knows...God makes him brave! Go, Toby!
:)Wendy

Dan & Hillary said...

Wow- I could have written some of this post. Russell only wants to stand on the top step and won't trust me to hold him in the pool. I wanted to enroll him but knew my money wouldn't be an investment and Russell would only be more terrified. Thanks for the hope...