Friday, November 27, 2009

Childhood Memories

Here is a sample of some of my favorite childhood memories:

  • Running away - in a corner of the backyard, until I was hungry for lunch.
  • Scrubbing the "dirt" off my knees in the bathtub. I could never get them clean. (It wasn't dirt - it was tan.)
  • When I was 8 and my brother was 9 - finding some money and riding our bikes all the way to downtown San Carlos to Christmas shop at the music store. We bought one guitar pick for my cousin.
  • Reading books to myself out loud when I didn't yet know how to read in my head. I would become sleepy and put a book down midway through. My brother would yell from the adjacent room, "Keep reading!"
  • Curling up on the big chair in the living room when I got home from elementary school. My grandma would call me and read me books over the phone.
  • Trying to roller skate on the hardwood floors in our house, between the area rugs, until I got caught.
  • Watching Mork and Mindy on TV - the episode where Mindy visits her childhood home and see's the markings on the doorway that measured how tall she grew over the years. I decided to do the same thing on my doorway and did so from 1982 through the next 10 years.
  • I had a stubborn loose tooth that wouldn't come out. My grandpa asked if he could see it. I said he could as long as he promised not to pull on it. He promised, and then pulled it out.
  • Spending most of my childhood afraid of the redwood tree that would sway with any wind and brush up against my bedroom window. Then one day it fell on my room, but I wasn't home. Phew...
  • Defying gravity by wedging myself and climbing the inside of doorways to the top of the doorway. I always felt like it was the very best view of the room.
  • Polishing silver before any holiday. I liked how I could make it so shiny, but hated the smell of the polish.
  • Huddling with my cousins around the old TV in the Green Room of my grandparents house to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comments:

Katie said...

wonderful memories, thank you for sharing them!